Driver’s licence

  • What is it?

    If you hold a driver’s license from a foreign country you may only use this in the Netherlands for een specific period. After which you must exchange your driver’s license for a Dutch one. You can exchange your foreign driver's license at the municipal office.

  • How does it work?

    If you hold a driver’s license that was issued by an EU member state or in Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, then you may use this driver’s license in the Netherlands for a maximum of 10 years after the date the driver’s license is issued. After which you must exchange your driver’s license for a Dutch one.

    If you have a driver’s license from any country other than those listed above, then if you are resident in the Netherlands, you may use this foreign license for 185 days (six months). After which you must exchange your driver’s license for a Dutch one.

    Has your driver’s license expired and was it issued in an EU member state, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland? Then you need to obtain a statement which shows that the foreign authority that issued the driving license does not object to a Dutch driving license being issued (Verklaring van geen bezwaar). Otherwise you will first have to apply for a new driver’s license.

    If you cannot exchange your driver’s license (this applies to most countries outside the EU), then you must take the normal theory and practical driving tests of the Central Office for Motor Vehicle Driver Testing (CBR).

    Medical assement

    In some cases you need a Statement of Medical Fitness. For driver’s licenses issued in a country outside the EU you need to apply for a Statement of Medical Fitness (Verklaring van geschiktheid) which can be obtained from the CBR. You first need to obtain a Personal Medical Statement form from the municipality for this.

  • What should I do?

    • You go to the municipality office
    • You ask for a form Exchange foreign driver’s licence (aanvraag omwisseling Nederlands rijbewijs).
    • You fill in the form where needed and check the prefilled data
    • You hand over the required documents
  • What should I bring?

    • A passport photo providing a good likeness which meets the set criteria
    • A valid passport or Dutch ID card
    • Your valid foreign driver’s license
    • If you have this: the letter form CBR that you are qualified to drive
    • A debit card or cash to pay for your driver’s license
  • How long will it take?

    • The municipality will send your application with all the documents to the RDW
    • If everything is in order, the RDW will sent you a letter within 10 working days containing information when you can collect your Dutch driver’s license at the municipality.
  • What are the costs?

    Exchanging a foreign driver’s licence: € 58,90